HMM Suspends New Cargo Bookings to Middle East Amid Rising Maritime Risks

Reporter Kim Jisun / approved : 2026-03-12 06:45:18
  • -
  • +
  • 인쇄

An HMM container ship. (Photo = HMM)

 

 

[Alpha Biz= Kim Jisun] South Korea’s largest shipping company HMM has effectively halted cargo transport on Middle East routes as maritime risks surge following the expansion of the Middle East conflict and the closure of the Strait of Hormuz.

HMM said on March 11 that it has temporarily suspended new cargo bookings to the Middle East, citing safety concerns for ships, crews and cargo.

Cargo already bound for the region will be redirected to alternative safe ports instead of their original destinations. Containers rerouted to substitute ports will incur an additional charge of $1,000 per container.

The measure currently applies to three container ships operating between India and the Middle East, the company said.

Major global shipping lines had already suspended Middle East services earlier this month. Carriers including MSC, Maersk and CMA CGM halted operations on the route and imposed additional surcharges of $2,000 to $3,000 per container due to elevated risks.

HMM said it is coordinating its response with members of the Premier Alliance, its global shipping alliance, while closely monitoring developments and adjusting its operating strategy accordingly.

 

 

 

Alphabiz Reporter Kim Jisun(stockmk2020@alphabiz.co.kr)

주요기사

Homeplus Seeks Emergency Funding from Meritz Financial as Liquidity Crisis Deepens2026.05.18
Korean Defense Firms Unprepared for U.S. CMMC Cybersecurity Mandate Ahead of November Deadline2026.05.18
Drone Attack Hits UAE’s Barakah Nuclear Plant Built by South Korea; No Casualties Reported2026.05.18
Woori Financial Faces Internal Turmoil as Union Misconduct Allegations Surface Amid Earnings Slump2026.05.18
Doosan Group Set to Acquire SK Siltron in KRW 5 Trillion Deal, Marking Strategic Shift to Semiconductor Materials2026.05.18
뉴스댓글 >

상하이 최대 한인포털

HEADLINE

PHOTO

많이 본 기사